Sunday, April 19, 2009

Heartwarming Vintage Gardener Card




Last night, my mum was the keynote speaker at our annual Historical Society banquet, and I made this card for her for the occasion.

She gave a wonderfully eloquent speech based on a Thoreau quote: "Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in." The main point of her speech was that time, like a stream, is continually flowing, and we gain knowledge and strength for the present from remembering stories of the past. It's also important, she said, for us to restock the stream for future generations. We should preserve stories and photographs, so when our children and grandchildren go fishing in the stream of time, they can draw strength from the past as well.

I know I'm a little biased, but I thought Mum's speech was excellent, and it reminded me of why I scrapbook - to preserve our family stories, as well as how those stories are part of the community and people around us, and beyond that, how as Christians, our stories are part of the Greatest Story of all.

Thank you for coming by today, my friends! I'm blessed to have such wonderful fishing buddies in the stream of time!

2 comments: